INTERVIEW FRIDAY: Photographer Kristen Duke

|


We're excited to have Kristen Duke (pictured above) from Kristen Duke Photography as our interviewee today.  Her photographs are beautiful and impressive and the insight that she gives below is a must read for anyone interested in pursuing photography.  Enjoy examples of her photography throughout the interview!  Thank you Kristen!


Interview Questions: 

Q.  Please tell us about yourself and what people, influences, events or desires led you to your profession.

Photography has always been a passion of mine.  I love people and I love capturing pure emotion.   In high school, I learned how to develop film in the darkroom, and I'm grateful I have that history with film/print as it helps me in my digital darkroom.   My husband and I have 4 children, and we’ve been in North Austin for nearly 8 years.  
Early on, I tried the backdrop/studio setup and it just wasn’t my thing. It felt too stiff, too constricting. I love the versatility of outdoor or in-home portraits. Plus, I think the natural sunlight is the most beautiful light.  You will very rarely see me using a flash.  
To read more of Kristen's interview and more examples of her beautiful photography click on READ MORE below...

Q.  How would you describe the job of a photographer?  Can you tell us what a typical day or week is like?

I am not a full time photographer.  I photograph 2-4 sessions a month.  With each session, I am gone from home 1-2 hours.  I usually schedule that time when my husband is home to be with our children Saturday mornings or a weeknight.  I don't work on Sundays.  Sometimes a friend will watch them on the rare event that I shoot during a weekday. 

After shooting each session, I have 2-3 hours of editing work to do on the computer and narrowing down the best images, and popping the color to make them stand out.  I often give a sneak peak on my website a few days after and once a week has passed, the clients will be able to view the full gallery and select images they want to print.  I then re-edit images to perfection and organize them for printing.  This takes 1-2 hours.  Once they arrive, I package and deliver and this takes about an  hour total.  


Q.  What are the most enjoyable and least enjoyable aspects of your work?  Why?

Most enjoyable aspect of being a photographer is meeting new people.  I LOVE to hear new stories or watch families interact with each other.  One can never have too many friends. 

Least enjoyable is when people can't afford all the images they want. It makes me sad to not accommodate, as I do understand budget constraints. My hubby has to constantly remind me to be business minded or I'll not make any money.  I don't leave my family time to not make money, so it makes sense to me:) 


Q.  What is the most common misconception that people have about your line of work?

People don't understand why a custom photographer charges so much when Sally down the street "shoots and burns" for a lot less.  When I started out, I was the same way.  I was learning (not good) and didn't charge a lot.  Now that I've spent thousands on equipment, seminars, software, and hours and hours learning my craft, I recognize that I am charging for my expertise and my time.
  
Q.   How would a young person with aspirations to become a photographer best prepare himself/herself?

I do not have a degree in photography, though I considered it.  I don't regret that, and I do recommend a degree (mine is in child development, perfect for my 2 jobs as mother and photographer).  My education has come from seminars, online tutorials, meeting with other photographers, and an online photography forum.  Each photography session is also a workout, not for the faint.  You need to always be on your toes with suggestions and ideas for clients because they come ready for you to take lead. 

I used to photograph weddings, and often they didn't have a wedding coordinator, I quickly found that everyone turned to me for the flow of the day.  You must be prepared with a bag full of tricks.  I often carry noisy toys, rubber bands (pull hair back), candy for kids, first aid kit, safety pins, I could go on.  Also, you are expected to pose, so come with plans and ideas on how to do that according to the size of the group.  People skills are very important, you want to make a good impression. 


Q.  What is the most important or significant thing that you have accomplished in your work to date?  What do you hope to accomplish?

I have loved photographing the weddings of family and friends.  I consider it my gift to them, and I feel so grateful to offer such a treasure. I was also blessed to photograph a sweet newborn and be in her presence for her very short life--1 hour.  To be there with her loved ones in that most sacred and emotional time is a blessing I will always carry with me. 


Q.  Do you have any additional thoughts that you would like to share with young people trying to decide on a career choice?  

If I were to do this photography journey all over, I would have perfected my skill before I started charging (even if it was just a little). But, I think I may not have pushed myself hard to learn if I didn't have a reason (people continuing to ask). I am grateful for my journey and where it has brought me today.




1 Comentário:

Vi 12s said...

gorgeous photos!

 

©2009 Career Decisions Made Easy | Template Blue by TNB