INTERVIEW FRIDAY: Lyndsay Johnson - Graphic Designer

|

For today's interview we have the pleasure of hearing from Lyndsay Johnson, a Graphic Designer. I first took note of Lyndsay's work on a blog that she designed called Nie Nie Dialogues. After reading her interview and checking some of her other wonderful creations- I can assure you that you will enjoy this sincere interview that holds great advice. Be sure to also check out her links- they're all wonderful. Thank you Lyndsay!


Interview Questions:

Q. Please tell us about yourself and what people, influences, events or desires led you to your profession.

I’ve been a graphic designer for ten years. I am a stay-at-home/work-at-home mom. I have two small children, and I am a freelance designer and illustrator. I have always been artistic, and especially love the graphic arts. I went to both undergraduate and graduate school for graphic design. Before I had children I worked for a publishing company mainly designing layout design for publications. Once my son came along, I decided to stay at home and do the most important job of all, being a mommy! I worked for a scrapbook company for a while designing scrapbook paper and accessories. A few years ago I started my blog design business, Beautify My Blog (http://www.beautifymyblog.com), with my business partner, Sarah Bradford. We have also branched off into another venture, The Blog Guidebook (http://www.blogguidebook.com), which offers free blog listings and other blogging resources.

I also enjoy digital illustration, and you can find some of my personal work in my Etsy shop (http://www.etsy.com/shop/LyndsayJohnson).



Click Below to READ MORE of Lyndsay's Interview:



Q. How would you describe the job of a graphic designer? Can you tell us what a typical day or week is like?

Since I work from home, I typically set my own schedule. I generally plant myself on the couch with my laptop for a couple of hours while the kids play around me (my son is playing pirate ship next to me as I type this, in fact). I often squeeze work in during my children’s nap times, and sometimes in the evenings. I work on personal illustration projects, and also on blog design and logo/identity design for clients. But my first priority is my family. So during the week we attend my kids’ activities, and then I respond to client e-mails and work on blog designs when I have spare time. I don’t do design work for clients every single day, but I do find myself working on some design project daily. I am always thinking of new projects, and can’t ever seem to get too far from my laptop before I am opening it up to create something new.


Q. What are the most enjoyable and least enjoyable aspects of your work? Why?

One of the most enjoyable aspects of my work is the satisfaction I find in a finished project. I love seeing a printed poster design, a completed blog design up and running, the feeling that I just created something out of the blue and watched it go out into the world in its own small way. I especially enjoy whimsical projects, designs for children, and illustration. And when I am able to help people through my work, I get the greatest satisfaction!

The least enjoyable aspect of my work is dealing with difficult clients. I work on my people skills a lot. The time work sometimes takes away from my family is also a big concern for me. I am constantly trying to adjust the time I spend working to make sure it’s not “too much.”


Q. What is the most common misconception that people have about your line of work?

There are actually two:
-The first is that anyone who has design software can be a designer. The truth is that it takes time and study! It can be through education in school, or by studying on your own. But you need to have an elemental and dedicated understanding of the principles of design. And then you have to constantly be updating your skills and style to keep up with the industry.

-The second is that some people think they should be able to pay very little for high quality design. This is actually a problem perpetuated by the previous statement. And it’s also present in other areas of art and design (like photography, for example). If you pay for quality, you will never be disappointed!


Q. How open is your field? Are there good opportunities for determined newcomers?

Since I have been a freelancer now for a few years, I am not very in touch with how things are going in terms of professional hiring out in the field. I do know that if you have the determination and talent, you will do just fine. There are always opportunities for talented freelancers who have great self-promotion skills. And my best advice for anyone trying to become a graphic designer or break into the field, is to go to school (get a degree or certificate). It will give you a leg up in this economy, and you will have the added benefit of potential internships as well as career placement services through many schools and universities.


Q. How would a young person with aspirations to become a graphic designer best prepare himself/herself? (School subjects to master, physical skills, social skills, attitudes, character traits, suggested reading, grooming, etc.)

I absolutely recommend a 4-year university if you can do it. If you cannot afford to attend a 4-year university (because of time or money), the Art Institutes (http://www.artinstitutes.edu) are a great alternative. Taking courses at your local community college, or even online in some circumstances can also round out your résumé and experience. Look for internships, design contests, and opportunities to work with other designers (workshops, for example). As a designer your basic skills will involve being able to work with the Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, InDesign, and Illustrator). And then there will be additional programs to learn for interactive and web design. If you want a very basic intro to these design programs, I recommend the Classroom in a Book series from Adobe to get started.


Q. What do you believe are the keys to enjoying work?

Absolutely do what you love. Don’t compromise because you think you won’t be successful or make a good living. If you are doing what you are passionate about, it will work out!


Q. What is the most important or significant thing that you have accomplished in your work to date? What do you hope to accomplish?

I don’t think I can name one thing. I am happy with every stage I have gone through as a designer. I am excited to see where my work goes and how it evolves.


Q. This is the last question: Do you have any additional thoughts that you would like to share with young people trying to decide on a career choice?

Like I said before, do what you love. And don’t be afraid to do it! Don’t compromise, because someone tells you to become something else, or because you feel pressured to fulfill expectations, or follow in someone’s footsteps. It’s the rest of your life, so you should truly enjoy your career. My husband, a photographer and cinematographer, can truly attest to this. He has made a career out of something he is talented in and greatly passionate about. A career is what makes you look forward to the rest of your life. A job is what makes you look forward to the weekends.

Also, in my case, I get asked a lot about the decision I made to become a stay-at-home mom, after completing all of my schooling and starting a career. “Isn’t it a waste?” I adamantly support any level of education, especially if a woman is planning to be a wife and a mother one day (and even if she is currently a wife and mom). Every bit of education you pursue benefits your future (and current) family. If it is something you are able and desire to do, don’t hesitate just because you think you might be leaving your profession at some point to stay at home with your children. Knowing that you took that opportunity to do something for yourself will always feed your spirit. And there will possibly be future opportunities to work from home or part time if you ever want to do that. Having a skill to turn to will always be beneficial.






**Enjoy this interview? There's 150+ in our BOOK!**
Conversations: Find Your Niche!

1 Comentário:

Anonymous said...

Love the ABC design. This is the kind of stuff I wouldn't mind getting into at all- thanks for the information and links!

 

©2009 Career Decisions Made Easy | Template Blue by TNB