INTERVIEW FRIDAY: Yoga/Pilates Teacher Kristin McGee

|

I am extremely excited for our interview today.  Kristin McGee graciously accepted the offer to do an interview for us.  She was so sweet to work with and I'm excited for you all to read about what she does.  She has been on countless television shows, magazine covers, and trains numerous celebrities, models and athletes.  Her interview today gives us insight into her career as a yoga/pilates instructor.  Enjoy!




Interview Questions:


Q.  Please tell us about yourself and what people, influences, events or desires led you to your profession.
I grew up in Idaho and my family always played an important role on encouraging me to go for my dreams. They let me move to New York for NYU Acting School Tisch and it was there I discovered my first yoga class. I fell in love with it and I started going to studios and teachers that resonated with me. In 1997 I certified to teach yoga to support my acting career. In 2002, I was discovered by and MTV producer to do a series of yoga and Pilates DVDs. I then continued on the path of becoming a leading Fitness professional and celebrity yoga instructor. I love sharing fitness and yoga and Pilates with as many people as I can. 

Read the rest of Kristin's interview by clicking READ MORE below...




Q.  How would you describe the job of a Yoga/Pilates teacher?  
Can you tell us what a typical day or week is like? I typically wake up at 5 or 5:30 am and see early morning private clients or teach an early morning class. I've been trying to reserve the first 20 minutes for meditation then I make myself a substantial breakfast and pack my bag and an extra little cooler full of snacks and hit the road. I walk to a lot or take the subway to and from client's homes and gyms and yoga studios. I sometimes have some nice breaks in my day but my schedule can also be back to back. I teach a few late nights until 8:00 or 8:30pm and then get home and check emails and write. I am a contributing editor for Health Magazine and I blog.

Q.  What are the most enjoyable and least enjoyable aspects of your work?  Why? 
I love seeing people improve and feel good about themselves. I love it when someone tells me thank you after class or that I've influenced them in a positive way. I love the creativity, the comfortable yoga clothes I can wear all day, the fact that I am not stuck at a desk all day and that I get to move all the time. I'm not crazy about the early mornings and late nights and I also wish I had more time to work on the business side of my job. I also sometimes get physically exhausted and there are a few days I actually wish I didn't have to wear yoga clothes and that I could dress up!

Q.  What is the most common misconception that people have about your line of work? 
That I should be stress free since I teach yoga and yoga is a great stress reliever....I have the same stresses that everyone else has in life! I just try and use my practice to stay more balanced and stay positive. But it always cracks me up when someone says, "well you're never stressed you are a yoga teacher!"
  
Q.   How would a young person with aspirations to become a yoga teacher best prepare himself/herself?
First of all practice for yourself...if you really love yoga or Pilates or are super interested in Fitness then you should definitely go for it; but if you are a newbie to it and just think it sounds cool, then it's not a good idea. You have to really be passionate about it. Then if you have the passion, ask the teachers you are fond of where they studied. Do some research on reputable studios and training programs in your area or look in to universities that offer programs and training in fitness careers and yoga. Light on Yoga, BKS Iyengar, The Yoga Sutras are all good books. If there are instructors you admire on DVDs don't be afraid to reach out to them and email them. Look into their career path and see how they got there. With yoga's rise in popularity, there are many great training programs now. But make sure you have done at least a few years of your own practice and once you are certified then go to gyms and yoga studios and tell them how long you've been practicing and show them your certification and see if you can start on their schedule or assist teachers in class or or at least start subbing. Once you can sub a class and get feedback from the students, the gym or studio will likely want to hire you.

Q.  What is the most important or significant thing that you have accomplished in your work to date?  What do you hope to accomplish?
I created Bendigirl yoga for young girls. I think building self esteem one breath at a time through yoga is so important. I am proud I created a DVD all by myself and I hope to keep building upon Bendigirl and influencing more and more young ones so they can experience yoga sooner rather than later and live a healthy, happy life.



Q.   Do you have any additional thoughts that you would like to share with young people trying to decide on a career choice? 
I am here for anyone who wants to ask me personal questions....kristin@kristinmcgee.com. I say always believe in yourself and follow your instincts. If you are in a program that doesn't resonate with you, find something else. I've always stayed true to myself and I've always loved what I do and I think the combination of those two things is what has helped me build my own luck. There is no such thing as just getting lucky...you have to have  "proper, prior, preparation to prevent piss poor performance" (to quote my father). If you are prepared and doing what you love then you will most definitely at some point end up in the right place at the right time and your career will blossom.


Learn more about Kristin and check out a few of her DVD's :

Her Latest DVD: Body By Bethenny - Bethenny Frankel with Kristin McGee:


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have some of Kristin's DVDs... it was really fun to learn more about her! Thanks
-Sue (MI)

Vi 12s said...

She's been my favorite for so long- I appreciate her advice!

 

©2009 Career Decisions Made Easy | Template Blue by TNB