INTERVIEW FRIDAY: Singer/Songwriter Marcome

|

We are extremely excited to debut our INTERVIEW FRIDAY series. These are interviews by people of different profession about how they got into their career and priceless advice on how to prepare and be successful. These interviews are slightly shortened versions of the the 150+ interviews found in Conversations: Find Your Niche!

Our first interview is with a wonderful artist and individual, Marcome. We're very grateful for her time and thought that is put into the priceless information found below!

Enjoy the pearls of wisdom as well as a sample of her music below!



Seven Seas (Remastered 2006)River of SoulSeven Seas

Interview Questions:


Q. Please tell us about yourself and what people, influences, events or desires led you to your profession.
I'm a singer songwriter and sound engineer by trade. I've been singing all my life, be it with my family or with the music I listen to! I grew up in a musical family. Every weekend my uncles would grab their guitars & violin and do music. This led me to like music and start singing.



Click below to READ MORE of Marcome's Interview...


Q. How would you describe the job of a singer/songwriter? Can you tell us what a typical day or week is like?
As a singer songwriter, I have to feed myself with my surroundings to inspire new song ideas. I like to spend time in nature to contemplate, it's a very inspiring moment for me. As an indie artist, I have to follow every aspect of my work, the promotion and marketing. My career is like another child in some ways for I'm always involved, it's all about...me!

Q. What are the most enjoyable and least enjoyable aspects of your work? Why?
I would say that at some points when I'm into the marketing and promotion of my music, sometimes I wish I would only do music. But then, I know that all this direct feedback is also generating great energy in my Soul! I try to like my days wether I do things I like or not so that my mood does not depend on external condition but on one decision: I don't control all of what life brings me but I have control over my thoughts and the way I go about it in life!

Q. What is the most common misconception that people have about your line of work?
I haven't heard lot's of negative words over the years. I would say that one thing I heard more often would be that artist have no discipline. It's actually sometimes quite the contrary for some of us!

Q. How open is your field? Are there good opportunities for determined newcomers?
There's always room for talent and for persevering people. Perseverance is a must for everbody will say no! You have to be a determined individual to be in the music biz.

Q. How would a young person with aspirations to become a singer/songwriter best prepare himself/herself? (School subjects to master, physical skills, social skills, attitudes, character traits, suggested reading, grooming, etc.)
To become a good singer songwriter I would say that you need to listen to all sorts of music for years. I personally did not attend shchools in music. I'm a sound engineer by trade. I got to work with trained musicians for years and I learned most of what I know today. Of course, if your work requires you to read music, you need a training. I learn by ear!

Q. What do you believe are the keys to enjoying work?
To enjoy any work I think I have to be responsible for my inner happiness first. Even if I give you your dream job, there will be some days where you'll wish doing nothing. This is normal! One day at a time. My work is not my life, it's a part of it, the doing. We're human 'Beings' so we need to feed ourselves in many areas. Younger I had to do workd that were repetitive and in which I was alone in a room all day. I asked the boss to have permission to have my walkman and listen to music at the time! I would meditate.

Q. What is the most important or significant thing that you have accomplished in your work to date? What do you hope to accomplish?
Keep doing it despite the dishonesty of record labels which get you to sign down the page and don't pay you! That was hard! This really can be taken as a death sentence!

Q. This is the last question: Do you have any additional thoughts that you would like to share with young people trying to decide on a career choice? For example, if you could turn the clock back, is there anything that you would do differently or any skills that you would have worked on harder? Are there any “Lessons Learned” that you would like to share with young people preparing themselves for a profession?
I think everything is for a reason therefore I did what I could and still do today! The trick is to keep a constructive, supportive loving attitude toward what life brings us day after day!


1 Comentário:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful artist, glad you presented her, will get some of her music. Inspiring Lady !

 

©2009 Career Decisions Made Easy | Template Blue by TNB